DIY Project: Sandstone Look Planter Pots
As it’s Spring, the garden is blooming and growing with rapid pace. Every day something new blooms, and we’re just finding out what flowers and plants we have in the garden (or rather, we look at them and say “Oh! Look! A… flowery plant..”). Having been incredibly busy since moving in, I’ve neglected my herbs and lemon/lime tree and they were starting to – let’s face it – drop dead.
I needed to re-pot my thyme and plant some new basil seedlings, so I went looking for nice earthenware or stone pots at Bunnings (hardware superstore) and our local garden centre. Oh my god, I didn’t realise pots were so bloody expensive!! I just wanted a medium sized pot for each of those herbs, and the cheapest I could find was $60 for a small one. Not being flushed with cash, I couldn’t justify a $60 pot for a $3 plant, so I decided to just stick with plastic pots from the cheap shop.
While I AM cheap, I didn’t want my pots to LOOK cheap, so I thought I’d give my terracotta coloured plastic planters ($15/each) a bit of a sandstone makeover. I went and bought a $9 can of spray adhesive and a $10 can of cream spraypaint, and the nice man at the garden centre gave me a small bag of sand for free.
I had no idea if this would work, I just thought I’d have a go as nothing really bad would happen if I wrecked a couple of cheap pots. I actually wish now that I’d intended to try a bit harder to begin with, as I could have gotten a flawless finish if I knew then what I know now. Still, I think they turned out pretty good….
Make sure the pot is clean and dry. Spray on the adhesive, making sure the surface is wet or it won’t get tacky enough. Do one side at a time.
Sprinkle over the sand, tipping the planter box to get the sand onto all the sticky surfaces.
Let it dry in the sun for 30 minutes. We only did a single coat. You could do two coats if you wanted to, but we didn’t feel it was necessary.
Coat the pot with a layer of spray paint. We used Dulux QuickDry enamel gloss in “Coffee Cream”. At this point we wished we had either painted it first, or been more diligent about adding the sand on, as we had a few blank spots that were then much lighter than the rest of the sand covered pot.
Close up of the final finish. As I said, if we’d been more careful, we would have gotten a flawless finish. Still, I am very happy with how it turned out.
Close up, you can see flaws, but for a half an hour’s worth of work, these pots look much better in our garden than plastic terracotta.
If we made more, we would spray paint first, then use the adhesive, then sand, then spray paint. We also didn’t use any sealant. You could if you wanted to, but I’ve watered the pots and nothing fell of so I am happy with how they are.